Making of Assassin
My name is Plamen Iliev and in this article I’ll try to explain the process of creating my 3D character Assassin.
Hello everyone, my name is Plamen Iliev and in this article I’ll try to explain the process of creating my 3D character Assassin.
I usually use the same tools for all my 3D characters although I sometimes experiment with new ones. For this particular project I used 3ds Max 9/2008, ZBrush 3.1, BodyPaint and Photoshop. This project began as an extension to one of my comic-style drawings of a girl coming out of a flower. There was no particular story behind her but I kind of liked the flowing hair and pose and decided to give her another dimension.
Before I start modeling I usually do a lot of research. I search for particular types of faces, although I already had some concept for this one and I also browsed the web for different kinds of clothing.
After that I had a general idea of what I had to model and a color palette I wanted to use.
The modeling process began with the face. I modeled the head directly in 3ds Max. I didn’t use the box-modeling technique, but the edge-extension method instead. I modeled the features first, like the eyes, the nose, and the lips, then I filled in the missing gaps. I took the ear from another project of mine. I believe it’s useful to keep a library of different objects and reuse them. Once I built the head I brought it into ZBrush and started experimenting with the Move brush. I used different photos of girls and tried to recreate their head structure. Orbiting around the face and looking at it from different angles helped a lot in working out its proportions.
Then I was happy with the face I moved on to the body. For this project I decided to model it a bit differently. I created a base mesh in Max which I imported into ZBrush and began to sculpt. Instead of having to tweak every single vertex and deal with edge loops and a lot of poly cutting I created a really dense mesh with the level of detail I reckoned necessary. The problem was how to bring back this mesh into Max since its poly count was so high that it was practically unusable.
The solution – retopologizing. ZBrush has a great feature that allows you to create new geometry from scratch using verteces and project it onto existing geometry. This way you could dramatically decrease the number of polygons in your model yet retain the all-important details. Although I wasn’t going to animate the model I decided to give her nice edge flows which paid off during the posing stage. The optimized body was finally complete and it was time to attach the head to the neck.
|For the gun I found a nice toy space gun at home and used it as a guide. It was comprised of both edgy and curved pieces and panels.|
|Then I directed my attention to the face again. I created the eyes with two spheres, one for the white and the iris and another for the cornea or the glossy and refractive surface.I painted a simple texture for the iris and added some splines for the eyelashes.|